As the new year approaches, there are plenty of ways to celebrate. You can watch the ball drop with your family, host a gathering with friends, or even count down until midnight at a public party.
But whether you’re ringing in the new year at home or spending a night out on the town, safety should always be a top priority. Here are a few tips to help you party responsibly, no matter where you celebrate.
On New Year’s Eve, you don’t have to leave your house to have a great time. If you’re hosting guests, here are some ways to ensure everyone can kick off the new year in style:
- Consider your liquor liability. There’s nothing like ringing in the new year with a glass of champagne. But if you plan to serve alcohol, be a responsible host by making sure nobody gets behind the wheel of a car. Drunk driving is a serious risk to your guests and others on the road. And in many states, you could be held liable for damage caused by a driver who leaves your party. Learn more about liquor liability and how to be a smart host.
- Plan your activities. To keep your party running smoothly, have a list of games or activities that don’t involve alcohol. Playing games can be a great way to break the ice and are fun for guests of all ages.Related: 10 Tips to Host a Holiday Party (Without Stressing Out)
- Serve plenty of food. If you’re staying up until midnight, expect lots of snacking to take place throughout the evening. A well-stocked menu of food and non-alcoholic drinks will not only keep your guests happy. It can also help counter the effects of the alcohol.
- Keep your guest list tight. When hosting a party in your home, it’s always a good idea to limit guests to people you actually know. Strangers may be less likely to respect your property, and it will be more difficult to confront them if they overindulge.
- Designate a driver. Encourage your guests to choose a designated driver before they arrive. Whether a friend is driving, or they choose to use Uber or Lyft, advanced planning will ensure no one decides to get behind the wheel. Get more ideas on how to find a DD.
- Shelve the fireworks. Avoid the temptation to start the new year off with a “bang.” Fireworks can lead to house fires and injuries – and they never mix well with alcohol.
Chances are, there will be no shortage of New Year’s Eve parties around your city. If you choose to spend the night away from home, here are some tips to help you get back safely:
- Designate a driver. If you’re planning to celebrate with alcohol, decide how you’ll be getting home before your first drink. There are plenty of ways to find a designated driver, whether you call a cab, use a ridesharing service or choose a friend to take you home.
- Celebrate with friends. There’s safety in numbers. If you’re partying with friends, have a conversation about looking out for each other before the night begins.
- Charge your phone. Before you head out for a night on the town, make sure your phone is fully charged. Getting stuck with a dead battery will make it difficult to reconnect with friends or hail a ride home, if needed.
- Eat before you leave. Not planning to go out for a full meal? Be sure to eat before you leave. Besides ensuring you won’t go hungry, a full stomach can help slow the absorption of alcohol.
- Don’t leave your car overnight. If you’re not driving home, it’s probably wise to leave your car in the driveway – and don’t forget to lock the doors. Unfortunately, criminals don’t take a holiday. According to the National Insurance Crime Bureau, New Year’s Day is the top holiday for car thefts!
No matter how you celebrate, the new year is a time to reflect on your successes of the past and your hopes for the future. At Erie Insurance, we’re here to protect all that matters most so you can relax and enjoy life.
With ERIE, you get outstanding coverage, great rates and service from local people who care. Talk to your local ERIE agent today.
in your neighborhood or learn more about homeowners insurance.
A better insurance experience starts with ERIE.
Haven’t heard of us? Erie Insurance started with humble beginnings in 1925 with a mission to emphasize customer service above all else. Though we’ve grown to reach the Fortune 500 list, we still haven’t lost the human touch.
Contact Jones Insurance Service today to experience the ERIE difference for yourself.